Baltimore SSI Appeal Lawyer
If you have limited income and otherwise qualify for SSI, the denial of your disability claim can be overwhelming. The unfortunate reality is that most SSI claims are initially denied. Thankfully, you have options and can appeal your denial. The process can be complicated, but an experienced Baltimore SSI appeal lawyer can help you navigate the system and get the benefits you are entitled to.
Understanding The Initial Determination
When your claim is denied, the SSA will notify you in writing in a document that is referred to as an “initial determination.” The initial determination will explain the basis for your denial. There are a variety of reasons why your claim may have been denied, but here are some of the most common:
- Lack of medical evidence
- Your income is too high
- You did not follow your prescribed medical treatment
- You have prior denials
- You did not cooperate with the SSA in filing the claim
The Notice of Initial Determination is an important document, so you need to be sure to keep it for your records.
It is important to note that you have 60 days from the date you receive your notice of initial determination to appeal. Although 60 days may sound like a lot of time, it can pass much more quickly than you think. If you fail to begin the process before the deadline, you could lose all of your rights. Working with a Baltimore SSI appeal lawyer can help ensure all deadlines are met so you don’t lose your right to appeal for benefits.
The Social Security Appeal Process
If your claim has been denied, the SSA requires you to pursue the following steps to appeal your claim:
- File a Request for Reconsideration
- Request an Administrative Law Judge Hearing
- File an Appeals Council Review
- File a lawsuit in federal district court
Each of these steps must be taken before proceeding to the next. For example, you cannot request a hearing with an administrative law judge until you have filed a request for reconsideration and it has been denied.
How a Baltimore SSI Appeal Lawyer Can Help
You are not required to hire a social security attorney to handle your SSI appeal. However, people who work with an experienced legal counsel are more likely to be successful in their appeal and get their claim approved. The Law Office of Emmett B. Irwin helps clients in the following ways:
- We perform a 360-degree review of your claim and the basis for your denial. We will then provide an assessment of whether you qualify for SSI and the likelihood of success for your appeal.
- We gather and review all of your pertinent medical records. We will identify any records that may be missing or incomplete and get the information necessary to fully document your claim.
- We work with your treating physician to obtain a detailed opinion that clearly explains your disability and limitations.
- If you need to request a hearing, we make sure you are fully prepared to provide a compelling testimony and can answer any questions calmly and accurately. We also will be prepared to cross-examine any experts that the SSA may call to testify to support the denial of your claim.
Has Your Claim Been Denied? Contact Baltimore SSI Appeal Lawyer Emmett B. Irwin
Your claim may have been denied, but don’t lose hope. Baltimore SSI appeal lawyer Emmett B. Irwin has helped hundreds of clients successfully appeal their claims and get the benefits they need. If you’d like to discuss your case and how we can help, contact us to schedule a free consultation. We work with clients throughout Maryland and surrounding states.